#8 Father's Day

Me and my Dad
It's Father's Day.  Time to remember our dads and father figures.  My Dad can be described in many ways; hard working, faithful, witty, kindhearted... and he certainly had a positive impact on me.  Surely you can think of at least one father figure that has made a difference in your life.  I didn't always obey my father, but yet he was one of my biggest supporters.  He is soft spoken, but when he does speak up, there is often something very powerful said.  Ok, maybe he has not always been soft spoken.  I can remember many of my cross country races where I could hear him with a loud cheer from nearly a half mile away. 

He encouraged many, often cheering just as loud for my competitors.  That's just who he is.  More importantly, he has shown through example how to be humble and kind.  He mentored positive relationships within the family and with God.  He is not perfect (can't let his head get too big if he happens to read this) but he gave me a tremendous gift by showing me how to be a better man myself. 


special connection
suction cup special connection
With my own children, I've tried to model my father's dedication to lead by example.  There is a growing and special connection with my daughter, Juliana.  As I have written before, I wasn't sure what to expect with a girl.  My background is very much a family of boys.  Nonetheless, I've become quite comfortable caring for her and we have a unique bond that I pray will hold true forever.  (People tell me it could change in the teenage years, I'll embrace it). 

Longing to continually grow a relationship with my own children, I'm reminded of what my father taught me through example.  What will I reflect as a father?  What kind of character will they witness?  Will they clearly see my priorities?  How do I lead them to be loving, compassionate individuals who can make a positive impact in our world?  One way is to demonstrate my obedience to what God is calling me to do and keep the foundation of our God-centered family strong.  



Noah
My son, Noah
While its is true that the impetus of starting crossrunnersheart.com was very much my son's diagnosis of HLHS, it is a project that highlights a calling that I've neglected for years.  I am conscious of the need for deeper study of the Bible and a closer relationship with Christ.  I also recognize that this venue continues to positively influence others to examine potential changes in their own life.  There is no mission statement for Cross Runner's Heart, but there is a framework and purpose.  I hope you will share one or more of these blog stories with someone you want to encourage. 

Hitting the share button and spreading inspiration is what I intended since doing the very first blog post.  


Children are truly gifts from God.  Half way through my previous post, Afraid to Love, I mentioned my feeling of inferiority in being able to quote scripture.  I was specifically stating that children are a divine gift and have since read Psalm 127: 3-5  which says "Children are a heritage from the Lord, offspring a reward from Him.  Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are children born in one's youth.  Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them.  They will not be put to shame when they contend with their opponents in court."

I have reflected this week on what it means to be a father and how we are not perfect.  We are works in progress.  I've also realized how perfect our Heavenly Father is and the tremendous gift He has given all of us.  In our current climate where it is easy to lose focus, the gift of salvation through Jesus can humbly bring one back on course.  Distractions are prevalent in our world and can exist even in our own families (believe it or not 😉). While the makeup of our families wildly varies, we all need to take initiative to connect more, to learn from, engage and nourish each other.  I pray that God grants me the knowledge and ability to continue leading my family as a father.  I'm grateful for whichever path the Lord has chosen to lead us.  


Family God's Masterpiece
The family tree.  Family... one of God's masterpieces

Thoughts? Who is a father or father figure that has impacted you? 









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#20 Riehm, family of 5

#21 Our Champion, Noah "Rocky Balboa" Riehm!

#18 Miracles & Mother's Day