#11 How Great Thou Art

Noah is working really hard to establish oral feedings.  Because of his heart condition, he fatigues easily.  Someone told us that his feeding challenges are similar to an average person stepping out to run a 5k with no training.  Our medical team does not want him fatiguing past thirty minutes to get his full three ounces every three hours.  Sometimes he is able to gradually consume the whole amount, and other times we are faced with the decision to connect his nasogastric tube for the rest.  
bottle feeding
Fighting to feed

As Noah works to improve his feeding efficiency, Jana and I are striving to find a balance with our time.  Yes, I am still running.  Sometimes fast and sometimes slow.  We are both trying to be more proactive while taking time-out for "mindfulness" in our own ways.  I'm trying to remind myself to use the creative portion, or right side, of my brain as mentioned in the About Me section of www.crossrunnersheart.com .  Music would be categorized as a right side activity of the brain, leaning more towards artistic vs logical left brain thinking.  I often joke that the only musical instrument that I know how to play is the radio.  Lately, I've opened up to different kinds of music.  

Cardiology appointments are every two weeks.  Recently, Noah had yet another echocardiogram.  These ultrasound picture sessions of his heart are something he is still getting used to.  The cold gel of the ultrasound probe irritates him, so we dimmed the room lights and turned on calming music to soothe him while the technician scrolled across his chest wall capturing every detail.  It was a relaxing environment on this day.  We turned the Pandora cell phone app to a baby lullaby music station.  As the sonographer was scanning Noah's heart, I patted his bottom with one hand while my
echocardiogram
Noah's echocardiogram
other hand tried to comfort Jana by rubbing her shoulder at the same time.  It wasn't easy getting that right- it's kind of like trying to rub your own tummy and pat yourself on the head (I'm sure you played that game as a kid).  


As we were circled around Noah, a song came on that Jana recognized.  It was an instrumental version of How Great Thou Art.  "My grandma's favorite church hymnal", Jana remarked.  Wanting to know more about the song, I flipped to the info section of Pandora.  Instead of the song's history, I saw a biography of the artist.  Who is Paul Cardall?  I had never heard of him.  Evidently, he is a world renowned pianist. The biography goes on to explain that Paul was diagnosed with a rare congenital heart defect and went through major surgeries at a time when most with his condition did not survive.  He later had a heart transplant and there we read his list of accomplishments and contributions to the world.  We had to know more!

While hearing the soothing piano solo, calming our baby while his heart was being evaluated, we read on.  We were a bit shocked, then again not surprised, to find that the artist, Paul Cardall, also battled HLHS (Noah's heart diagnosis).

The unexpected coincidence was almost like the night we met Matt Hammitt as detailed in Post #2 Lead Me.  With my eyes open, God's reminders seem to be commonplace these days.  Jana and I found it so peaceful to be there in that dark ultrasound room with Noah, listening to a lullaby performed by a pianist who overcame the very same condition.  Yes, we were taken back by something so ironic, but this time we didn't sink in our chairs trying not to cry.  Rather, we sat in peace and confidence knowing we have the grace of God.  HOW GREAT THOU ART!

Life spins at a crazy fast pace sometimes.  I'll be the first to admit that my brain seems to be more wired to linear, left-brain thinking.  HLHS leaves Noah with only half of a heart, the right side.  He will have to fight to strengthen the half that he has.  What he has taught me is that through many creative outlets, improving the right side of my brain can strengthen who I am as a person.  More importantly, greater left/right balance can improve my relationships and glorify God.  Probably like many of you at times, I need to be reminded to listen to the music and rhythm of life that we are called to follow.  

Wait 20 seconds into the video below to hear Paul Cardall's version of the famous hymnal.  Please share with others.


Comments

  1. I am forever amazed at your fortitude. God knows all and He puts the exact things we need in our laps when we need it. My daughter just gave my husband a kidney and at my darkest hour , while they are both in the operating room, God gave me a calm as if warm water was being poured over my head. He spoke to me so deep that words were not needed, and the Holy Spirit interceded on my behalf. I am thankful for your posts and your testimony. On a side note I work for the same employer you do. We will have to chat via bubble sometime. Be blessed.!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This fills my heart! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too have been trying to exercise my right brain recently and have been doing it through picking up piano (haven't played since I was a teenager). I call it my "therapy" through the stress of this pandemic and long divisive political season. I do play some hymns and will have to add this one to my list after hearing this beautiful version - songs by The Beatles (Let It Be, Yesterday, Blackbird) are my other favorites to play on piano - soothing and cathartic!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please Share Your Comments Here

Popular posts from this blog

#20 Riehm, family of 5

#21 Our Champion, Noah "Rocky Balboa" Riehm!

#18 Miracles & Mother's Day