#2 Lead Me

The same day of our first cardiology appointment for Noah's Heart, we were attending an event at our church called “Living Room Reset”.  It is put on by Kirk Cameron. Remember him as the actor in the TV show Growing Pains?  He is a strong Christian man and also star in the movie Fireproof.  (A good movie by the way… our hometown pastor had us watch it during our premarital counseling)  In short, the Living Room Reset event was Kirk Cameron bringing all his own living room furniture on stage and having a heartfelt discussion on what truly matters for parents.  The featured musician was Matt Hammitt.  He was the lead singer of Sanctus Real.  I’ve heard of this group but didn’t really know much about the band members.  I learned later that he is a North West Ohio boy too.  Went to Toledo Christian.  I used to run track against that team.  Great guys.  

There was a point in the event that night when Kirk interviews Matt on stage and tells a story of how he and his wife were sitting for a routine prenatal ultrasound.  My heart and my whole body started to sink in the chair as he told the details.  My wife, Jana, was crying.  I was trying not to.  He didn’t come right out and say his son was given a diagnosis of HLHS, but given the details he shared and how the doctors told them their son would have "half of a heart", we knew. 

    Jana and I had just met with one of our pastors to pray for our son, Noah, earlier in the week. She was 23 weeks pregnant. Our obstetrician had told us of some of the heart concerns and referred us for a fetal echocardiogram (detailed look at baby's heart). We had this appointment and first sit-down with cardiology the same day as this church event. At the intermission that evening,  our pastor approached us.  He arranged for us to meet Matt Hammitt after the event.  What are the chances we meet another parent of a child with HLHS the same day as our son was confirmed with the same diagnosis?  HLHS occurs usually spontaneously and happens in only about 1,000 births each year.   Serendipitous to meet another parent with this problem? Meet on the same day as our son's diagnoses was confirmed by cardiology? Many people call something like this a "God wink". You can call it whatever you want. The encounter certainly gave us a "reset" of our emotions.

Matt was great.  He prayed with us.  He gave us his wife’s email as he would be back on tour.  Busy Christian musician, spreading God’s word, motivating lots of people.  His wife’s response to our email was more like, "hey call me….I’m a much better talker".  No joke… we spent 2 hours on the phone.. and I feel like she would have kept answering all our questions and sharing stories.  Such a great family.  The highlight was that she had her son, Bowen, home and we got to meet him through FaceTime. Bowen is not shy at all. He is nearly 10 years old and braved 3 major open heart surgeries… and wasn't afraid to show his scar, or “zipper” on his chest.  You can click on Bowen's Heart to learn more. Turns out he is quite a singer like his father.

The prognosis for HLHS can be unsettling. We have been linked with other families that have had huge success stories like Bowen Hammitt. While it is challenging to have a little bend in our journey, I feel strongly the the Lord can use something that appears "broken" and make it beautiful. The book, Lead Me, helped, as it says on the front cover, find courage to fight for my marriage, children and faith. I purchased Lead Me the night we met Matt Mammitt. I then purchased several more weeks later. I felt compelled to purchase as many as Amazon would let me do at once so I could both subtly thank the Hammitt family and also share copies with others. I've handed out several and you are welcome to buy it online. Also, please contact me at crossrunnersheart@gmail.com if there is a way I can give you one of my remaining copies in person.
Lead Me book by Matt Hammitt
Book purchased the same day of 1st cardiology appointment

I'm motivated for what God has in store for the future.  As I mention in the Why Cross Runner's Heart? section of the website, I'm not sure which direction this journey will go, but I'm hoping you find something inspirational.  

Have you ever been given a "God wink"?  What did your story look like?  Have you ever had a circumstance where you were inspired to act on God's vocational call?  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#20 Riehm, family of 5

#21 Our Champion, Noah "Rocky Balboa" Riehm!

#18 Miracles & Mother's Day