#4 The One I Love

     There is no one I would rather share my life with than Jana. We come from different backgrounds but share many similarities in our upbringing. We blend many gifts that God has given us and turn them into strengths. While our journey has had unexpected challenges, I feel grounded in our wedding vows and by being equally yoked as believers in Christ.

     Our dating began at a library of all places. Two academically minded individuals with many ambitions. I was just embarking on a long road of studying medicine and Jana was in her second year of college. I'm so glad we were able to be so connected despite being so far away in the early years. The farthest? Early on in our relationship, Jana decided to study at the University of Sydney in Australia for a semester while I was back in Youngstown, Ohio. I would be getting ready for bed when she was eating lunch--it was logistically challenging to find time to talk but we made it work the best we could.

      When I was an intern at Michigan State, we were blessed that she was recruited for graduate studies just down the road at the University of Michigan. My postgraduate training (the years after medical school where you actually learn how to be a doctor) were difficult. The 100-hour work weeks were exhausting and I was disconnected even from my very best friends. While there were new rules around this time to limit a young doctors work hours to no more than 80 hours/week, let’s face it, that didn’t happen in many postgraduate training programs. The pager didn't stop beeping. Run to the hospital. Run back. Read. Repeat. When I turned 30 years old, I felt like something clicked. I had come to realize a couple things.

NYC on New Years eve
New York City Rockefeller ice rink
New Years Eve 2012
1.) I wanted to get married to the beautiful girl that I had come to know
2.) I didn’t want to carry a pager.

     While finishing my residency, I was making future career AND family plans. I had a master plan to propose in a way that she would not expect. She kind of was expecting something after 5 years right? Ice skating was one of our first dates. We went to a small local ice rink in our hometown. However, our "date night" would be little different a few years later (on the night I would propose). This farm boy from rural Ohio proposed to the love of his life at the New York City Rockefeller Ice Rink on New Year's Eve--with thousands of people watching! It was intimate being alone with her as we skated around the rink reminiscing the cherished moments of our dating relationship. You would think she would have known a big question was coming when everyone cleared the ice (I planned it that way). She was so surprised--- she said YES!



cross runners heart family photo
Jeremy, Juliana, Noah, Jana
     Today, we are at six years of marriage.  Every year, Jana finds ways to challenge me.  Her strengths bolster my weaknesses.  Sometimes, believe it or not, her way of challenging me can be a bit frustrating. (If you are married, you are probably more likely to believe me.) However, it's through these challenges, we have have found rejuvenated strength in our relationship.  Facing the next chapter in our life, we realize this could be the hardest one (Noah's due date is in two weeks.)  Noah's Heart has already changed us in so many ways. 

     A word that begins with a "D" was discussed during our premarital counseling with the lead pastor at our hometown church.   Let's just say there is a 90's country song that eludes to it.  It's not Dallas.  Our pastor shared that he and his wife committed to not using this word no matter what.  In years past, there may have been a time or two when we were both tempted to use the D-word, just to hurt each other---deep down knowing we didn't mean it.  While 85% of marriages who have a chronically ill child fail, we are feeling stronger than ever.  I know Jana will always be "the one." A friend once told me when asked, "How do you know when she's the one?" He answered,  "When there is no one else you could imagine spending your life with."  While we had a long courtship, it did not take me long to know Jana was "the one".  

     Our journey will bring more challenges.  Our faith in the Lord and each other will keep us running the race of life (had to get one more running metaphor in there at the end).

Is there someone that you have or had in your life that has made you better by sharing God given gifts and opening you up to becoming a new person? A better person? Remember, Garth Brooks also thanked God for Unanswered Prayers :) 

Comments

  1. Love you! I thank God for my unanswered prayers too :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please Share Your Comments Here

Popular posts from this blog

#20 Riehm, family of 5

#21 Our Champion, Noah "Rocky Balboa" Riehm!

#18 Miracles & Mother's Day