#6 At The Starting Line

Grandma's Marathon starting line


Have you ever felt "jittery" at the starting line of a race? Perhaps you have felt anxious or maybe just down right nervous about a challenge or next chapter in your life. As a high school freshman track runner, who was attempting to qualify for the state 3200 meter run, a teammate had asked me, "Are you nervous?" "No, I'm anxious", I replied.  This felt like the more confident answer.  I had to be confident because at that point it was going to be the most competitive field of runners I had ever faced.  We had a returning state champion in the race and I was the youngest runner by far.  With heavy rain, the track was water-logged but I ran without fear. With ambition, I keyed off of the top runner in the state as we blitzed through eight laps with wet racing spikes.  Unfortunately, my performance did not end with a bid to state, but an important lesson was learned that day.  I had ran the race with true heart and had given it my all.  Fourth place. Only three advance to state finals.  Without trust in my ability to run with the best, the performance wouldn't even have been close to qualifying. Running with confidence can propel you to greater levels. (I later had better luck qualifying for state but I'll save that for another blog post)  Experiences like this have made me poised for new challenges, not just with running but with life.

Wet track
Missing it to state by one spot


Last fall consisted of a lot of running (maxed out at 140 miles per week) --while training to "run a fast marathon before I get too old".  My hard work paid off.  PR (personal record) at the Berlin Marathon in Germany and 1 minute faster just a few weeks later in Columbus, OH.  As a "tune-up" for my big marathons, I ran a half marathon three weeks prior to heading to Germany.  Ironically, this was also in Berlin, but on a smaller scale. It was the Berlin Ohio Amish Country Half Marathon where my legs would be tested for the two huge races ahead.  In Berlin, Ohio, of all places, is where I met Ryan Hall.  We actually competed against each other in college at the Notre Dame Cross Country Invitational.  However, that race wasn't even close enough to see his back as he and his Stanford teammates where the top runners in the country and it showed on that day.  Ryan Hall later became the fastest American marathoner and half-marathoner in history.  He was the keynote speaker at the small Berlin, Ohio race and his new book that had just been released resonated very well with me.  He autographed his new book titled "Run The Mile You're In" and half-joked/half-seriously asked me to pace his wife Sara at the race in Germany I was already signed up to do.  (Should have taken him up on that one! Sara is a world class runner and it would have been quite an honor to help a fellow American athlete).

Jeremy with Ryan Hall, Berlin OH half marathon
Me with Ryan Hall (Olympian and American record holder)

The book was great.  26 chapters (same number of miles in a marathon).  Each chapter mirrors an excellent life lesson.  He calls the chapters "miles".  Mile 1: Vision,  Mile 2 Purpose,  Mile 3 Sacrifice and so on.  I'll try to not give too much away but Mile 26 is called Victorious.  In a nutshell, this chapter details how to "run free".  There is a quote that is not in the book but one that is a great reminder -- "Run with your heart and not your mind.  If you run with the mind you'll think of the things you can and can't do.  If you run with your heart, you just go out and get it done".  In the last chapter, Ryan Hall suggests that if Jesus were competing as an athlete, He would be totally free and would be able to put more effort into His performance than is humanly possible, but wouldn't be pushing it because he had to. Jesus would push Himself because He would be motivated by His love for us and the Father.
Run The Mile You're In by Ryan Hall
Autograph and inspiration

I can't help but think about this concept of "running free" or "running with heart" as Jana and I face the starting line of Noah's delivery to this world.  Barring any unexpected changes, our son will be born on Tuesday June 9th, 2020.  We are in the starting blocks and surrounded by a great team.  With the Lord, we have the best coach.  There is no reason to feel "jittery".  He already knows how this race is going to play out.  Yes, Noah is likely at the starting line of a difficult marathon.  The distance of actually running a marathon is humbling.  If you have run a half marathon and contemplating the challenge of the full 26.2 miles, be prepared to hurt way more than twice as much despite only going twice as far.

Last summer I took the train to the start line of the Grandma's Marathon in Duluth, MN.  It's daunting to see the course ahead as the train traveled north for 26+ miles to drop runners off at the starting line.  When the gun went off to signal the start of the race, I reminded myself to "run the mile you're in" and "run with heart".  It was a performance to be proud of and my finishing time was well ahead of the Olympic trials qualifying standard---for women! LOL).  Our family took a car ride back up north past the starting line to take a short vacation along the Lake Superior shoreline after the race.  Looking back, it was a huge satisfaction to know that I was faithful in my belief that I could finish the long journey.
Grandma's Marathon starting line
Starting line. Grandma's Marathon  Duluth, MN

Doesn't God call us to focus on guiding our hearts to loving and trusting Him with all of our might? The unconditional love of our Heavenly Father is unimaginably powerful.  With Him, there is no finish line.  We may be just at the starting line or somewhere in a very short race called life.  No matter how long life is, through His salvation, we have eternal life.  One of the most popular bible verses of all time is John 3:16 which says "for God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life""

With God is where we find peace with Noah's Heart.  My son is at the starting line and through faith, we will have the patience to run with him and enjoy every step.

Run with your heart towards the Cross




Thoughts? Have you ever been anxious about a challenge? Have your ever ran or walked farther than you realized?  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#20 Riehm, family of 5

#21 Our Champion, Noah "Rocky Balboa" Riehm!

#11 How Great Thou Art