#19 My Drug Of Choice

It's been awhile since my last post and recently, have been thinking of new topics during my runs.   I have two toddlers running around--making time in short supply.  Noah turns two years old on June 9th!  We also have a new addition to the family, Coach-- our little puppy.  He is 10 weeks old and just returned from a stay at Ohio State University Veterinary Hospital.  Unfortunately, he contracted Parvovirus and developed a severe infection within a day of arriving to his new home.  After some fairly aggressive medical care, which included two fecal transplants (yes, crazy as that sounds), he seems better.  Coach had a nasogastric tube like Noah did just after birth.  Thankfully, they were able to remove it and he is now eating independently. Jana and the kids are elated.  I'm warming up to the furry little thing.  Toddlers and a puppy, now I really feel like an adult! 

Many people wonder, myself included, how does one juggle all the family activities, a full-time job, investments, and training as an elite marathoner?  The answer is simple-- drugs.  Yes, it's true, and I'll explain in a moment.  Practically though, it's mostly my wife, Jana, keeping up with eight little legs running around the house.  There is also the God's grace-- we would be misguided without it!  If you are wondering who my drug dealer is, I can hook you up!  He is inexpensive and always open.  Thats right, 24/7, I can access the roads and trails and feel the high of my feet hitting the surface beneath.  Many people were depressed when their gym was closed due to Covid restrictions.  My fitness center has always been a pair of shoes away.  Do I have a chemical dependency to distance running?  Perhaps.  I do feel brief, super mild short-term side effects after a sudden pause in training.  My body does not receive the same "fix" and hormones are slightly altered.  However, it is my professional opinion that the benefits far exceed the risk.  I highly recommend a healthy dosage on a consistent basis.  Running is my drug of choice.  

A few years ago the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) put forth an initiative called "Exercise Is Medicine".  As physician leaders, we were encouraged to incorporate a simple physical activity assessment for each clinical encounter.  Listed next to the patient's other important stats, such as heart rate and blood pressure, the "physical activity vital sign" is a quick snapshot of the patient's weekly exercise.  As the ACSM publication explains, decades of research has shown that exercise is as effective as prescription medication in the management of several chronic diseases.  There are the physical health advantages of engaging in routine exercise, but easily overlooked are the mental health benefits; which have me thinking, maybe I am a bit crazy in the head-- and that's why I keep chugging along in a sport that I first tried three decades ago.  

Do I like running?  Truth is, I find myself dreading the first few steps of a run more often than not.  As I get going, of course,  it's the endorphins, that's why I keep at it, right?  Do if for the "runner's high'!  Actually, very rarely does the feeling of a "runner's high"come to me.  There are days when everything is clicking and I'm nailing a workout or there is an occasional breakthrough race.  The "high" is actually rarely achieved, but what is more of a constant is the satisfaction of a run.  It's not the endorphins, but rather the endocannabinoids that increase during a run which spill over into the bloodstream and these little neuromodulators generate a natural euphoria, create calmness and all the good stuff people typically rave about.  Running is legal in all 50 states, and it's a good thing too as there is still a bucket list for me to run at least one marathon in every state (16 and counting)

As I think back on the thousands of runs I've completed, I cannot think of a single one that I have regretted. Thus far, I have not experienced a side effect from running that has held me back from achieving more in life.  I am grateful for my health (physical and mental) and the sport has contributed to my overall wellness.  For me, there is also a spiritual component to exercise.  When I'm running, there is a lot of time to think,ponder, and meditate. Through running,  my relationship with Christ has deepened, mile after mile, with each step.  As my body pushes horizontal, my thoughts drift vertically. 

Perhaps I won't always be a runner but for now I'll let it be my miracle drug.  In writing this post, I'm also  thinking of the many individuals that are challenged by an unhealthy chemical dependency.  I recognize the challenge of overcoming such an obstacle and have seen huge strides in those that have turned from addiction.  Retraining neuropathways can be difficult. Making big lifestyle changes can be hard.  The best analogy for me to think of is when I've been out of shape for weeks or months.  Coming back into running after a period of time of can take a lot of retraining.  It takes awhile for the reward system in my brain to redevelop and have my legs under me not feel like they are constantly fighting.  As I've admitted, the first few steps can be dreadful, but in each run, you can reap a reward.  Someone once said, "one run can change your day, but many runs can change your life".  

You've now heard a bit about why I "like to run".  This is not "why I run".  Thats an answer that is still evolving.  I'm thinking of a soon to come blog topic of "how I run", but let's save it for now.  I'll have to get some more long runs in before I can sort out what that topic should look like.  Enjoy your day and try to get a few steps in for yourself.  You won't regret it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#20 Riehm, family of 5

#21 Our Champion, Noah "Rocky Balboa" Riehm!

#18 Miracles & Mother's Day