#18 Miracles & Mother's Day


Happy Mother's Day!  Thanks for believing! 

Growing up on the farm meant lots of barnyard time and playing any type of game my brothers and I could come up with.  My older brother, Phil, was a relentless competitor.  I don't exactly remember if it was soccer or kickball that led to my front tooth being knocked out but I think the story goes like this: I  pitched a ball to Phil and he was ready to knock it out of the park.  Instead, that ball came back to me.  Straight at my face.  I remember feeling something fly out of my mouth.  My ever so caring brother came over to investigate.  "Dude, you chipped your tooth".  Me: "I didn't chip my tooth, you did!"  Anyways, this is the type of shenanigans that my parents enjoyed growing up with three boys.  

After my tooth incident, my mother was truly caring.  We went to the dentist, and since I already had two big buck teeth, and one was chipped, I guess it made sense just to shave both of them bad boys down.  It was barely noticeable after that.  Just a little corner was missing.  Plus, I didn't have those big buck teeth anymore.  My mother later took me to another dentist that made it all look symmetrical.  But that was not before a vivacious night of healing at a local church event.  

At the event, my pre-teen mind could not quite comprehend what was going on.  There were all kinds of people praying for healing of their health conditions.  My mom leaned over to explain that, if you ask God for healing, He may grant you a miracle.  Miracle.  That is still a word I struggle with.  Back then, and even somewhat now, to me a miracle is something that happens that is inexplicable.  

So, my mom tells me God can do miracles.  I prayed for my chipped tooth.  Why not?  I was a healthy young boy and I couldn't think of anything else.  Plus, I really wanted to test this miracle thing out.  Later that night, I was a bit disappointed looking in the mirror.  Running my finger along the edge of my front teeth, I could feel a sharp and uneven chipped tooth still there.  I didn't see any miracle on this night.

I've matured in how I view miracles.  My wife, Jana (Happy Mother's Day babe), and I were debating the definition of a miracle during a recent bicycle ride.  "Look Jana, a true miracle would be if we were at Noah's next echocardiogram (ultrasound of the heart) and they found a fully functional four chamber heart", I declared.  Noah, born with HLHS, has always had only half of a functional heart.  Wanting to deliberate, I asked, "What do you consider a miracle?"  She replied, "a miracle can be anything God made".  As we were spinning down the bike trail, I looked at the dandelions that were scattered along the side of the path.  What is God's purpose with all of these seemingly insignificant weeds? 
"So, Jana, Is that dandelion a miracle!?", I asked as I pointed to one random little flower, trying to sarcastically single it out.  I was, of course, being a bit stubborn with my wife, trying to help us both achieve some enlightenment in defining the word miracle.   

While I still wrestle with the definition of a miracle, I have certainly evolved in my thinking over the years.   It's funny the way God has His way of speaking to you.  Last week, the draft of this blog post stopped somewhere in the paragraph above as I reached a writer's block when I was struggling where to go next after talking about dandelions.  Then Sunday comes.  Church service starts and the pastor illustrates how cultures change through time and somehow made a correlation of how we tend to take care of our yards in modern times.  It has been only very recent in the history of landscaping (side note- does landscaping even have much of a history?) that herbicides have been used.  For centuries prior, the weeds in our yards were cherished in many ways.  And, one little weed in particular had a multitude of useful benefits from making teas, oils and various medicines.  Long story sort, guess what became a five minute opening topic in church? The Dandelion...go figure.  

So, is a dandelion a miracle?  It seems God has a notable purpose for that pesky yellow flower that a majority of us would rather rid our yards of with chemicals.  The expectation and accepted practice is to cancel the dandelion and make our our yard look like we feel it should be.  But what does God want our yard to look like?  Good question.  Did God want Noah's heart to have a perfect four chamber pump? 

I remember first telling my mother about my unborn son's condition.  It's much harder to believe in miracles when there is tension and uncertainty.  Mom has always been supportive in life's challenges.  I
believe it's her wisdom and sense for God's purpose.  When she said, "pray for a miracle to heal your son's heart", my mind immediately jumped to my once chipped tooth.  I did pray, often.  And I am so thankful
first day home
Noah's first day home, July 2020
for the prayers of others.  Noah's prognosis is still not great and--the last time we checked, there was still just half of his heart beating.  Perhaps he already has all the anatomy God intended. 

Jana and I have prayed for a miracle and the best possible outcomes.  During the midst of the COVID pandemic, preparing for Noah's birth, and the two open heart surgeries that followed last year, we tirelessly researched the medical options and embraced each other and expert opinions of our care team.  Now, more accepting of the scope of what can truly be a miracle, I believe one is that--while we were so focused on healing Noah's heart condition, in turn, he has helped saved our hearts.  

As I reflect on what Noah has overcome and how I have changed, I am so thankful for the miracle God has given me: A son.  I am rejuvenated to have faith like Noah--not my son, but Noah, as in Hebrews 11:7.  It's uncertain what rough waters we may face next, but by faith, God will reveal his purpose and promises.  I'm thankful to be a child of God.  And, I am thankful to my mother for helping me pray for miracles.

Comments

Post a Comment

Please Share Your Comments Here

Popular posts from this blog

#20 Riehm, family of 5

#21 Our Champion, Noah "Rocky Balboa" Riehm!